The Ambassador program is designed to educate and empower 5 Gyres’ global network of supporters to take action against plastic pollution. Ambassadors are key volunteers who are provided with a solid background on plastic pollution research, policy, and solutions, coupled with training and tools to help them become leaders and take action against plastic pollution within their local communities. We currently have 173 Ambassadors from 30 countries in our program!
“The Ambassador Program is a really good way to connect with other people who have the same environmental interests. It was cool to have the resources - powerpoints, scientific papers, and the direct communication with 5 Gyres staff.” - Kayla Gratton
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Free downloads of a comprehensive informational presentation that you can use to share the 5 Gyres mission with your community.
- Access to a directory of resources that can help tailor messaging to presentation opportunities.
- Monthly virtual meetings—Office Hours or Webinars—with 5 Gyres staff, and a direct connection that gives you a quick response to any questions.
- Early updates on 5 Gyres programs, events and activities.
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- Lead and/or attend at least two events as a 5 Gyres Ambassador each year.
- Positively promote 5 Gyres in a professional way, using constructive, supportive and engaging language, and facilitating further involvement from the community with 5 Gyres wherever possible.
- Remain plastic free—using reusable bottles, cups, utensils and bags—while representing 5 Gyres, and ideally in your daily life as well.
- While representing 5 Gyres, only participate in events that are plastic free; if this is not possible, publicly address the reasons why the event could not achieve plastic free and consider speaking with the organizers about how they can reduce their plastic footprint.
- Document activities on social media using the #5GyresAmbassador hashtag and @5gyres, email steph[at]5gyres.org with the subject line “5GyresAmbassador” with details about the event and/or photos. Provide feedback for events whenever applicable.