The Ambassador program is designed to educate and empower 5 Gyres’ global network of supporters to take action against plastic pollution. Ambassadors are key volunteers who are provided with a solid background on plastic pollution research, policy, and solutions, coupled with training and tools to help them become leaders and take action against plastic pollution within their local communities. We currently have more than 200 Ambassadors from 40 countries—ages eight to 77—in our program!
Shout out to 14-year-old Ambassador Hannah Testa, who singlehandedly convinced the Georgia legislature to name February 15th "Plastic Pollution Awareness Day" beginning this year! Find out how to join her at the state capitol by clicking here.
“The Ambassador Program is a really good way to connect with other people who have the same environmental interests. It was cool to have the resources - powerpoints, scientific papers, and the direct communication with 5 Gyres staff.” - Kayla Gratton
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Free downloads of informational presentations that you can use to share our mission with your community.
- Access to a directory of resources that can help tailor messaging to presentation opportunities.
- Monthly virtual meetings—Office Hours or Webinars—with 5 Gyres staff, and a direct connection for a quick response to any questions.
- Early updates on our programs, events and activities.
- Our eternal gratitude for helping us fight plastic pollution and change the world!
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- Lead and/or attend at least two events as a 5 Gyres Ambassador each year.
- Positively promote 5 Gyres in a professional way.
- Remain plastic free by using reusable bottles, cups, utensils and bags while representing 5 Gyres, and ideally in your daily life as well.
- While representing 5 Gyres, only participate in events that are plastic free; if this is not possible, publicly address the reasons why the event is not and consider speaking with organizers about how they can reduce their plastic footprint.
- Document activities on social media using the #5GyresAmbassador hashtag and tagging photos with @5Gyres, and/or email steph[at]5gyres.org with photos and details from the event so she can share on your behalf.