Join our Tribe!
The Ambassador program is designed to educate and empower 5 Gyres’ global network of supporters to take action against plastic pollution. Ambassadors are key volunteers who are provided with the most recent and relevant resources on plastic pollution research, policy, and solutions. We provide the tools to help them become leaders and take action against plastic pollution within their local communities. We currently have 641 Ambassadors from 38 American states and 55 countries in our program—ages eight to nearly 80! Shout out to 14-year-old Ambassador Hannah Testa, who singlehandedly convinced Georgia's state legislature to name February 15th "Plastic Pollution Awareness Day."
The Ambassadors have access to a private Facebook community that allows them to better communicate with each other to share ideas, projects, and collaborate. Ambassadors host events, attend council meetings in support of single-use plastic bans in their community, and encourage restaurants to eliminate polystyrene products such as to-go containers and straws. Click the points on our map to find an ambassador near you!
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Free downloads of informational presentations that you can use to share our mission with your community.
- Access to a directory of resources that can help tailor messaging to presentation opportunities.
- Volunteer opportunities on our programs, events and activities.
- Our eternal gratitude for helping us fight plastic pollution and changing the world!
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- Take two actions that either focus on raising awareness about reducing plastic or living a zero-waste lifestyle. These actions can include in-person or virtual events that you are doing for your own initiatives, such as speaking to a classroom or business as well as promoting a social media initiative, conducting and sharing scientific or citizen science research on plastic pollution, producing a video, and more!
- Positively promote 5 Gyres in a professional way with correct information found on our website and Ambassador resources.
- Remain plastic free by using reusable bottles, cups, utensils and bags while representing 5 Gyres, and ideally in your daily life as well.
- While representing 5 Gyres at events, use your leverage as an Ambassador to point out ways event organizers can reduce their plastic footprint.
- Document activities on social media using the #5GyresAmbassador hashtag and tagging photos with @5Gyres!
- Have fun being #plasticfree!
WANT TO BE A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR?
Thank you to our program sponsors!